Today was a particulary trying day. It was one where I felt as if I have been kicked all day long and then hung out to dry. All of us know how easy it is to take things personally, and then get caught up in a negativity frenzy. Then we inevitably end up feeling like crap at the end of the day, no matter how awesome or talented we really are. Ultimately, we bring this home and take it out on our families – and lose sight of everything that is really important. I get so angry with myself when I let this happen.
When I enter in to this unfortunate circumstance, I am in need of a “Reality Check with a Thankful Spin”. Here are my 5 steps that work every time:
1. Understand that we cannot control the actions of others – only how we choose to act, and remind ourselves to take the positive, productive route.
2. If work is the source of our stress, we must remind ourselves that it’s only a job – and in the grand scheme of things, the issue at hand will have little impact on the overall direction of the universe.
3. At the end of the day, if you can say you did everything you could to “do great things” and “make a positive impact” then it is a good day!
4. Keep an inventory of “Thankful Reminders” on hand to bring you back to what is important – photos, letters, memories, music, a long walk, or anything else that helps you get back to the moment to enjoy the miracles that life has to offer.
5. Focus on the “Possibilities” rather than your challenges. Picture yourself in whatever that means to you. It will go a long way.